It’s not a big surprise that the iPhone XR is now the top-selling phone in the U.S. No, it doesn’t offer the perfect OLED display or dual rear cameras of the pricier iPhone XS and XS Max, but the iPhone XR delivers all the other top aspects of those flagships at a more accessible $749 price.
You get the same world-beating A12 Bionic chip, the same great photo quality and the same convenient Face ID for quickly unlocking your phone. I’m also pleasantly surprised with how well Apple executed the six fun color options (especially blue) and color-matched aluminum frames.
The iPhone XR’s big, 6.1-inch screen won’t appeal to everyone, but based on my testing, I can say this is one of the best phones you can buy. In fact, the XR beats the XS and XS Max in one important way.
iPhone XR Cheat Sheet: What You Need to Know
- The iPhone XR’s color options look great, especially the blue and yellow options, and the color-matched aluminum sides are a nice touch.
- The 6.1-inch LCD is big, bright and colorful, though OLED screens offer better blacks and wider viewing angles.
- The single rear camera offers excellent performance and impressive portraits, complete with depth control, but the Pixel 3 has a better camera in low light.
- Apple’s A12 Bionic chip delivers the same superfast performance as it does in the iPhone XS and XS Max.
- The iPhone XR offers nearly 11.5 hours of battery life, which is longer than what the XS Max and Galaxy Note 9 provide.
- The lack of 2x optical zoom is a bummer, but the digital zoom is fairly good.
The iPhone XR delivers fast performance, great cameras, and longer battery life than other flagship phones, all in a colorful and affordable package.